Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Resuming Sprycel; Excited, Yet Apprehensive

It has been exactly two weeks since I took my last dose of Sprycel. This Sprycel vacation resulted from a minor case of pleural effusion, complicated by a nasty case of bronchitis. Pleural effusion is a side effect of Sprycel, also known as Dasatinib, which is a TKI, also known as a tyrosine kinase inhibitor; this particular drug is used to control chronic myelogenous leukemia. 

I believe that my negative PCR results AND my pleural effusion are both directly correlated to the fact that I changed the way, in which I was ingesting Sprycel. By taking Sprycel with a shot of Mother’s Vinegar, diluted in water, I created a more acidic environment in my stomach and therefore the absorption of Sprycel was increased.

Now, since the bronchitis is finally gone and the pleural effusion seems to be minimal, my oncologist feels that it is safe to re-introduce Sprycel into my body. We are going to be lowering the dosage by one day. This means that instead of taking 140mg of Sprycel 6 days a week, I will take 140 mg, 5 days a week. This also means that I will have two days a week that I feel pretty darn good!

Now, on to my apprehension; my oncologist is a highly respected CML expert, one that is involved in the research of CML, so I suppose that I just have to trust him, right? One of my favorite things about him is that he really listens to me and values my opinion; he also takes what I have to say, regarding my own health, into consideration. This being said, I am a little apprehensive to start taking Sprycel again, with a “as long as the PE is “better” and “tolerable”, then you can start Sprycel again; when you are ready” answer! When I am ready? He wants ME to decide? Yikers, I am not sure that I am up to that high level of responsibility!

I am also a bit freaked out by the," You don't want to see a Pulmonologist unless you want a tube in your chest to drain the fluid, and I don't recommend it, " comment.

On one hand, I am totally ready and excited to start sucking down Sprycel again, in the hopes of another negative response; on the other hand, I enjoy breathing! And feeling good, and being my old, happy self, so; what to do, what to do?

I am at a crossroads; do I keep waiting to see if the PE improves daily, or do I start taking Sprycel again, and see if the condition worsens? Currently the only time that I notice it, is when I take a really deep breath, or when I dance. I was joking during the last dance competition, that I was a “One trick Dancer” as I could dance one song and then had to rest for two. But if that is what it takes to remain in PCRU, then I think that I am willing to give it a shot; hoping that after many negative PCR’s, I will be able to lower my dosage, and that I will no longer have PE issues.

I have to admit, with the negative PCR response, my motivation and excitement to resume my treatment is really foremost on my list of things to do; it is exciting to have reached the ultimate goal once, and even more exciting to anticipate a second, negative PCR. I certainly hope that I will not be disappointed! (However, it will be in the back of my mind that I had a two and a half week vacation.)

 I suppose I must remain positive in order to achieve a negative! I think that I will resume ingesting Sprycel again, on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bricks for the Brave!!